July 20 to 31
Escuela de Postgrado
Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Chile
Target public: Graduate students in genetics and related fields
Duration: 38 hrs of lecture, 76 hrs take-home work (4 academic credits)
9:00-17:00: 20/7, 22/7, 27/7, 31/7
9:00-14:30: 21/7, 23/7, 24/7, 28/7, 29/7, 30/7
Schedule: 20/7: 9:00-17:00, 21/7-30/7: 9:00-14:30, 31/7: 9:00-17:00
Admission: Graduate student enrolled in U. Chile: free. Others: 6,52 UF
Syllabus: Download [PDF]
- Module 1: Genetic population structure
- Module 2: Predictive populations genetics
- Module 3: Retrospective population genetics
We will review principles and practical application of population genetics, coalescence, and genomic-population studies. The course will be theoretical / practical and it will cover concepts of population genetics and coalescence to answer questions about population structure, demographic history and its effect on emergence and prevalence of diseases from genomic information.
Requirements to enroll
- To be enrolled in a graduate-level Program in Genetics or related field. Some exceptions may be made for exceptional candidates who justify admission in their letter of intent.
- Advanced level of English listening. However, assignments can be written in Spanish. Students can ask questions in Spanish. Submit your English certificates with your applications. If none available, submit a letter from your mentor/supervisor giving support for your application and certifying that your level of English will allow you to adequately follow the lectures.
- A letter of intent. The letter must be written in English, in a formal format, and it must state why you should be accepted in the course (state your academic merits) and how attending the course will affect your career or academic development.
- Updated CV. This must indicate the degrees obtained, publications, presentations at scientific meetings, work experience, and any other information that you deem relevant. CV can be written in English or Spanish.
Interested applicants who fulfill the above requirements must send an email as follows:
To: Ricardo Verdugo <email@example.com>
Subject: Application for Short Course in PopGen
Attachments: Letter of intent, English certificates, any other relevant documents as attachments that will help to assess your potential as a student. For instance, recommendations letters, course transcripts (certificados de notas). PDF format is preferred.
Note: Students in the Doctoral Program in Sciences from Universidad de Chile must submit a letter from the director of their program stating that are allowed to take the course.
June 12th, 2015
Frequently asked questions
- No soy estudiante de la Universidad de Chile. ¿Puedo postular a una beca?
- R: Sí es posible dado que nuestro principal objetivo es llegar a la mayor cantidad de estudiantes posibles Sin embargo, el que podamos hacerlo dependerá de cuántos estudiantes de la U. de Chile postulen. Instamos a todos los interesados en postular y que argumenten en su carta de motivación porqué deberían ser aceptados y justifiquen porqué requieren de una beca.